Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ragada Patties

Ragada patties reminds me of my uni days. During our study leaves every semester, I used to go back to my home town “Kolhapur” to prepare for the exams. Every evening all of us friends used to hang out at a “tapari” (street vendor) to have ragada patties, pani puri and bhel. I think I spend more time mingling with my friends than studying during these study breaks but that is a topic for another day. I am featuring my version of ragada patties. There are several ways to make it so please comment if you have would like to suggest some missing ingredient.

Ingredients:

For Ragada

1 can of cooked cannellini beans (white peas)

½ bunch of mint leaves

½ bunch coriander leaves

2 green chillies

2 garlic cloves

½ inch gimger

1 onion finely chopped

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1 teaspoon asafoetida

1 tablespoon oil

½ litre of water

salt

For Patties (aloo tikki)

2 medium potatoes

½ inch grated ginger

½ teaspoon turmeric

½ teaspoon coriander powder

½ teaspoon of cumin powder

½ cup green peas

1 tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander

½ teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)

oil to shallow fry

salt to taste

Preparation time: 30 mins

Cooking time: 20 mins

To make ragada, blend the ginger, garlic, mint leaves, coriander leaves and chillies to a paste.

Heat oil in pan and add mustard seeds and once the seeds start popping add the asafoetida and turmeric. Add the chopped onion and saute until the onions turn translucent. Add the blended paste and saute for further 1 minute on low heat. Add the cumin powder, salt and the beans.

Add water and simmer for 10 minutes.

For patties

Boil, peel and mash the potatoes. To the mash add the grated ginger, green peas, turmeric, coriander and cumin powder, fresh coriander, red chilli powder and salt. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and set aside

In a pan add oil. Make flat patties of the mash and shallow fry on both sides until golden brown.

Plate up the patties, top it with garma garam ragada. Garnish with chopped onion, some chat masala and tamarind date chutney.  

 

5 comments:

  1. great use of tikkis you made before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanq for following the blog Priya. Could I request you to follow it directly on the site www.hrishi.com.au?

    I update it regularly there and may occasionally forget to update it here or on tumblr etc;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice recipes!! Keep up the good work. I would like to read more Kolhapur memories and recipes here.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mints...was reminiscing the college days and ended up recording masta cut-wada recipe today. will post it once i finish editing. Like I said to Priya before, I update the main blog regularly but occasionally overlook other platforms. Do make sure you follow the main blog at www.hrishi.com.au

    ReplyDelete